Fresh chicken, whole birds, split breast, whole legs, whole wings, livers, hearts, feet.
We'll also have tons of bell peppers, eggplant, basil, lettuce, radishes, turnips & more.
Durham Farmers' Market is on Saturdays from 8am to noon and is located here:
View Larger Map
Carrboro Farmers' Market is on Saturdays from 7am to noon and is located here:
View Larger Map
Here are two relevant recipes for this week:
Chicken and Peppers w. Balsamic Vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
* 4 whole chicken legs
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
* 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon fresh basil
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium heat, and stir in the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and onion. Cook about 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the garlic, and cook and stir about 1 minute. Mix in the basil and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
3. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in remaining balsamic vinegar just before serving.
Chicken w. Eggplant-Pepper Sauce
*½ lb japanese eggplant
*1 lb colored bell peppers
*3/4 tsp salt, divided
*1/4 tsp ground ginger
*1/4 tsp garlic powder
*1/4 tsp ground red pepper, divided
*2 whole split chicken breasts
*2 tsp olive oil, divided
*1 tsp paprika
*4 tsp lemon juice
*1 tbsp fresh basil
Cut tops off eggplant, slice in half lengthwise, and pierce skin with a fork. Cut off & discard tops, seeds, membranes of bell peppers. Microwave eggplant and bell peppers on high for 8 minutes or until tender.
While the eggplant cooks, combine 1/4 tsp salt, ginger, garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp red pepper; sprinkle the chicken with the ginger mixture. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook on each side until it is done.
Combine eggplant and bell peppers in a blender or food processor. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper, 1 teaspoon oil, paprika, and juice; process until smooth. Serve chicken with sauce & chopped fresh basil sprinkled over entire dish.