Sunday, May 10, 2009

Veggie CSA Week #3

As always, this is subject to change. Changes are merely based on what is ready at the time I need to harvest for each CSA delivery (there are 3 different deliveries each week). Sometimes, mostly due to weather, but also because of pests, weeds, etc., a particular veggie/fruit won't quite be sized up enough for harvest. This should explain why some were substituted bok choy instead of turnips last week. But that is all the fun in eating locally and seasonally!

I will be back soon with a recipe/cooking tips for the dandelion greens. I need to do some research (including eating them!!) myself. :)

HALF SHARE:
Strawberries - 1pint - $3.00
Onions - 1 bunch - $2.00
Lettuce - 1 head - $2.00
Dandelion Greens - 1 bunch - $2.00
Swiss Chard - 1 bunch - $2.50
Radishes - 1 bunch - $2.00
Bok Choy - 1 head - $1.50
Cilantro - 1 bunch - $1.50
TOTAL - $16.50


FULL SHARE:
Strawberries - 2 pints - $6.00
Dandelion Greens - 1 bunch- $2.00
Lettuce - 2 heads - $4.00
Kale - 1 bunch - $2.00
Onions - 1 bunch - $2.00
Radishes - 2 bunches - $4.00
Parsley - 1 bunch - $1.50
Beets - 1 bunch - $2.50
Bok Choy - 1 head - $1.50
TOTAL - $25.50


RECIPES

Baby Bok Choy & Black Bean Salad

Ingredients:

2 heads baby bok choy (or one head of big bok choy)

1 15oz can black beans, drained

1 head spring garlic

1 bunch spring onions

3 tbsp. cider vinegar

2 tbsp. Dijon mustard

¼ cup olive oil

Directions:

Chop up bok choy stems and leaves into 1 inch strips. Chop garlic and onions and mix with bok choy and black beans. Mix together vinegar, mustard, and oil and pour over salad and toss. Cover it up and throw it in the fridge for at least an hour (a few hours is better especially if you’re using big bok choy). Taste it and add salt and pepper if you want – it usually does fine by itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I should have thought to check this out first - I was going to suggest the next time I saw you that you include some sort of list of what was in the box, because I used what I thought was flat leaf parsley in a dish, and it turned out to be cilantro - my fault for not tasting it first...now I know it's here.

I was saddened to hear about your friend's passing - my condolences on your loss, she sounded like an extrordinary person.

Castlemaine Farm said...

yeah, at the beginning of the season, I sent an email telling everyone to bookmark this blog site because each week, I would put a list and also recipes, etc. I usually fall behind, but so far, the list I've been able to keep up with :)

Anyway, stay posted for future newsletters!